We bring world-class, critically-acclaimed and diverse theatrical productions and artists to Wales, as well as producing joyful experiences rooted in our national culture.
As well as presenting and curating the best touring work, we create our own productions, festivals and events which we hope will entertain, stimulate and inspire our audiences at home and abroad.
Through our artistic programme, we aim to contribute to Welsh culture in all its diversity, to nurture Welsh talent in a range of skills related to the arts and offer a platform for our national artists to respond creatively to their experience of contemporary culture.
As a bilingual nation we celebrate and champion Welsh language artists, presenting and producing performances bilingually.
Our programme is driven by the imagination and inspiration of the artists with whom we collaborate, guided and directed by our artistic team.
We want to create innovative, culture-defining work and engage new audiences because we believe in the transformational power of the arts to change lives.
To do this we have to take risks, nurture untested talent, pioneer new partnerships and follow our artistic intuition.
- Make thought-provoking, entertaining theatre productions: Man to Man, our first full in-house production in 2015, re-imagined Manfred Karge’s play; in 2016 we produced D-Day musical Only the Brave; and in 2019 toured the European premiere of Agatha Christie’s The Mirror Crack’d.
- Create original work showcasing Welsh talent and telling Welsh stories which tour the world; musical Tiger Bay premièred in 2017, a roaring tale of poverty, injustice and revolution set against the backdrop of the Industrial Revolution in Butetown.
- Curate seasons of diverse, critically-acclaimed theatre and performance which challenge audiences, highlighting the very best in international and Welsh talent - including Soho Theatre and Drywhite’s Fleabag, and productions from National Theatre Wales and Welsh-language theatre company Neontopia.
- Develop local artists - theatre practitioners, directors, writers and actors - to explore ideas, have the space to rehearse, test concepts, meet industry professionals and create new productions such as Carys Eleri’s Lovecraft (Not the Sex Shop in Cardiff) which premiered at Festival of Voice 2018 before heading to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and Adelaide Fringe in 2019 where it won 'Best Cabaret Act'.
- Produce Cardiff’s international arts festival, Festival of Voice which celebrates international and local voices through a programme of superstar acts, one-off commissions, intimate gigs, talks and new theatre.
- Ensure our programme is accessible to as many people as possible though affordable tickets, free events, using digital platforms to reach audiences throughout Wales and enabling disabled people to enjoy our programme by providing relaxed, audio described, BSL translated and captioned performances.
- Curate our public spaces and produce large-scale live events of national and international significance such as City of the Unexpected celebrating Cardiff-born Roald Dahl, to enhance the cultural life of Cardiff Bay, the capital of Wales and the nation.
Tiger Bay the Musical
Set in Cardiff Docks in the early 1900s, extreme poverty meets supreme wealth and coal is king.
The Mirror Crack'd
This thrilling play is based on Agatha Christie's classic murder mystery novel, The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side.
City of the Unexpected
A fantastical live extravaganza through the streets of Cardiff celebrating the life and work of Roald Dahl.
Festival of Voice
Our international arts festival, bringing artists and audiences together over four days of incredible live music, thought-provoking performance and inspirational talks.
Only the Brave
A D-Day musical delving into the lives of the men and women who made astonishing sacrifices.
Man to Man
Our first full in-house production, reimagined Manfred Karge’s play about one woman’s survival in Nazi Germany.
This co-production with August 012 follows a surreal journey to Delphi with a grieving woman, mythical Centaur, Italian film maker and mystic.
Lovecraft (Not the Sex Shop in Cardiff)
On Tour: Carys Eleri's one-woman science/comedy/music show examining the intricacies of love.
This ambitious co-production with Gagglebabble was part murder mystery, part gig with plenty of twists and turns.
The Beauty Parade
Dropped by moonlight to set Europe ablaze...