Llais is Cardiff’s annual international arts festival inspired by the instrument that connects us all – the voice.
With a mixture of free and ticketed events, Llais presents a programme of adventurous live music, thought-provoking performance and playful experiences for everyone to explore.
The festival is an ambitious and vibrant event which...
Celebrates music, performance and the power and magic of the human voice.
We programme voices that spark emotion, challenge opinions, that can unite us, inspire us, soothe us and bring about change. The festival brings artists and audiences together over four days of live music, performance, art and ideas.
Enables people to use their voice
Using your voice is a fundamental part of life. We create opportunities for people, no matter their background or experience, to get involved throughout the festival.
Is international in scope but rooted in Wales
We place some of the most powerful and distinctive voices from around the world alongside the very best emerging and established artists in and from Wales.
We offer projects, performances and ideas that entertain and excite but also push boundaries, challenge conventional wisdom and encourage creative thought. We make this happen by...
- Welcoming voices from every discipline, genre and background. From grime artists to polyphonic choirs, storytelling to sound installations, immersive opera to punk-poetry – celebrating the voice in all its forms is what makes Llais unique.
- Commissioning new work. Through collaborations and partnerships, we present new work by some of the world’s most recognisable artists, drawing an international audience to Cardiff for once-in-a-lifetime performances.
- Providing opportunities for Welsh artists to break new ground. We encourage Wales’ defining voices to take creative risks, to test and grow ideas, to work collaboratively and to champion the work they love.
- Amplifying the voices of artists and speakers. We provide a platform for innovative ideas and voices, including those which are often unheard or under-represented. We enable everyone to express themselves; to hear and be heard.
We have already started this by...
- Growing, developing and learning. Reflecting on the first two iterations in 2016 and 2018, Llais is now an annual event, placing it firmly at the heart of Wales Millennium Centre’s yearly programme. With a new access-all-areas wristband, audiences will be able to discover a world of voices, roam between venues and embrace the unknown.
- Connecting with artist and industry networks. Working with projects such as BBC Horizons, we’re seeking out the best emerging artists in and from Wales to give them an exceptional international platform. Llais is proud to take place in Cardiff, the UK’s first Music City, and celebrates and contributes to this thriving creative hub.
- Working with youth arts organisations and community groups. Working with key partners, Llais is providing opportunities for young and local people to curate, produce, develop and perform creative work. We recognise that the process of planning and delivering a festival event can be as valuable as the event itself.
- Presenting live and digital experiences that encourage participation. From interactive performance to open debate, Llais is further developing its talks and participation strands, recognising that by speaking to the present and imagining the future, our collective voice is more than the sum of its parts.