Our main space, the Donald Gordon Theatre, is the second largest stage in Europe and among the best theatres in the world.
It welcomes high quality, award-winning musical theatre productions fresh from the West End, the powerful emotion of Welsh National Opera, dance, drama and more.
Named after its patron, the late South African businessman Donald Gordon who donated £10m to Wales Millennium Centre, this stunning 'lyric' theatre provides a stage for the nation where it showcases events of international significance which are rooted in our national culture.
In this space we fire the imagination by creating shared experiences with our audiences that are...
From the moment you arrive to the memories you take with you; we’re committed to creating mesmerising experiences.
Entertaining and exciting
We fire imaginations by presenting a world-class programme of the best national and international musical theatre, drama, dance, opera, comedy and music.
Unique and spectacular
We host events, festivals and celebrations that kindle homegrown, emerging artists and showcase the best international talent.
From National Eisteddfods to our Festival of Voice, our theatre is a place to come together. We create these experiences by ensuring the highest levels of quality:
We programme the world’s best musical theatre productions, fresh from the West End and Broadway, alongside thought-provoking plays, spectacular operas and critically acclaimed dance productions. Our wider programme reflects the diversity of talent across the performing arts.
We’re passionate about making our programme as accessible to as many people as possible.
We do this through affordable community ticketing schemes, and by ensuring that we meet the needs of our audiences, through BSL interpretation, audio description, relaxed performances and more. Find out more about accessibility.
Re-investing our profits
As a charity we re-invest every penny from our profits from our commercial programmes. We invest in young people – creating life-changing learning experiences rooted in the arts.
Our Donald Gordon Theatre has already...
- Provided a stage for our own productions, including Tiger Bay the Musical, our co-production with Cape Town Opera, and Only the Brave.
- Played host to takeover days to celebrate some of the freshest talents within our communities.
- Hosted several National Eisteddfods, providing free entry to all to Welsh-language events of national importance.
- Hosted international showcases such as British Dance Edition and Womex.
- Hosted relaxed and many other accessible performances to remove barriers to attendance
- Presented hugely popular, sell-out shows such as Les Misérables, Mamma Mia, and Disney’s The Lion King.
- Provided a stage for a programme of outstanding quality by our resident companies – Welsh National Opera and National Dance Company Wales.
- Presented a programme of international dance through our partnership with the Dance Consortium, in addition to staging performances by English National Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet among many others.
- Provided a home for Festival of Voice – our annual international arts festival of incredible live music, thought-provoking performance and inspirational talks.